Friday, September 10, 2010

My Best Friend Eric

            I've had a lot of friends. Many good friends. But I've only had a few best friends. I met my first best friend when he had just move into my neighborhood. I was 6 and he was 4. He was short and kind of chubby, African american, and very talkative. It seemed so long ago that I  don't even remember how we met. I think we may have just seen each other across the street and we both knew we wanted to meet one another so it just happened. We stayed best friends until he moved when he was in the fourth grade. We've still managed to keep in touch but he and I are so different now that its very weird.
            My next best friend, Eric, came around in the 7th grade. We had had some mutual friends and had seen each other in the halls a lot. I remember he liked some of the bracelets I used to wear and used to pay me a quarter a week to wear some. The friendship blossomed from there. Over the next 4 years we became closer and closer. His girlfriend became my almost best friend too. Almost everyday we all hung out and had fun. They were the best friends I ever had and I loved them unconditionally. Then events happened which involved my parents finding out about something and thus resulting in me not being able to see them for a long time. Things kind of fell apart after that. I felt left out of the group. Eric and his girlfriend broke up making things weirder. Though they stayed friends I knew things would be different.
             Took about two more years before I was able to see them again and things had indeed changed. Emma, his girlfriend, had moved on from him and I could barely keep up with who she was anymore. And Eric was different too. Not so much in personality or looks but just in how we acted around each other. He kept trying to make things like they used to but they couldn't be. I knew it but he wanted things to be like they used to. It became some awkward for me that I avoided hanging out with him. I avoided it all summer before I came to college. People told me he was sad about that. And I was sad that it happened too. It was only recently that I told him the truth about how I felt. Recently being like two days ago. He said he understood and he appreciated me apologizing for the way I acted. It felt good to be able to patch things up somewhat and I'm glad I did it. So things are looking up for our friendship and that makes me very very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment