Friday, September 17, 2010

Tech World

Well I am typically a technology enthusiast so going a day without technology was pretty hard. Not as hard as I thought it would but still hard. I chose to go a day without my ipod. Although my first generation ipod touch has a cracked screen, no sound, no music, and not even a working head phone jack, I still use it daily. Mostly for the pages and pages of apps, specifically games, I have on it. When I’m bored I usually just whip out my ipod and play one of the various games I have on it. I figured it was a good choice because I use it enough to be addicted but not enough that I’d freak out without it. 
I’ve never understood why people give technology a tough time. Well maybe not a tough time but schools try to limit the use of technology in it and people complain that it’s making people lazy. Well I’m not going to argue that it makes people lazy because I know I’m lazy. I can literally sit in my bed and turn on my TV with the remote then take my PS3 controller and turn that on, cycle through different options I want to do, and when I’m done, turn off the system and watch TV, all without leaving my bed. But I don’t see this as a bad thing. I don’t see why they do not teach a class in school that requires you to learn to type or just no the basics of power point or any type of computer program. The times are changing and they are still trying to stress the importance of being able to write out a math problem when you can simply put it into your calculator. Sure it’s good thing to know but odds are your going to use the calculator anyway so why make more work. The times have changed. It is a technology world out there and we should be taking advantage of what we have, not restricting it. We should be teaching children how to use this technology instead of wasting there time on old ways. It really doesn’t make sense to me as to why in a world of increasing technology do we hold on to old traditions instead of making use of what we have giving us a huge advantage to discover greater things than previous generations.
Well that was my little rant about that. Back to the assignment. At the end of the day I felt good. Not because I went without my ipod for a day but because I knew I could now. I don't think people should solely rely on technology to do everything for them but they should use it when they need to or if it is of advantage to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment